The Power of Social Networking Sites and How Many do not Take Advantage of it
May 03, 2010
Today everyone is familiar with social networking sites such as Linkedin, Plaxo, Facebook, and Twitter. Many of you have registered for these sites, have a page, and are actively using these sites. However - most of you do not use these sites to the fullest.
I have participated in all of these sites and have been diligent on adding new friends and contacts to these sites, but as a salesperson - I must admit - I do not go to these sites first to find contacts that may lead me to business.
For sites such as Linkedin and Plaxo to truly generate business you need to make it your first stop every time you are looking to open up a new business opportunity for yourself. It is surprising, with the amount of names that I have accumulated, what a resource I have developed to open up new doors for business that but I do not use effectively.
Here are some tips to effectively improve your use of these social networking sites.
- Make it your first stop before you cold call anyone; see who knows the person you are seeking to contact to open up new business.
- Continue to add your contacts each day - every business card you get with an email invites them to join your contact list.
- If you are in a sales organization, have everyone link his or her leads together - maybe you are trying to reach a client that someone within your organization already knows.
- Join groups and participate in conversations on various topics that you are interested in. Like any networking event unless the person knows you they will not refer you business. These groups allow you to participate in conversations that could lead to referrals.
- Check these sources daily; make sure you have bookmarked these sites so that you visit them several times a day. Get involved.
For those of you that still have not joined the social networking world you better change your ways. This is the future of business development - if you are not participating you will be left out.
COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE VIA OUR BLOG
Written by: Hans Hansson
Hans Hansson is President of Starboard TCN Worldwide Real Estate Services as well as a member of the Board of Directors for TCN Worldwide Real Estate. Hans has been an active broker for over 25 years in the San Francisco Bay Area and specializes in office leasing and investments. If you have any questions or comments please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at (415) 765-6897. You may also check out his website, http://www.commercialspacefinder.com/.